Friday, November 16, 2007

Taking TIme To Design and The Meaning Behind The Name

2 things I want to talk about today: taking (and making) the time to design and the meaning behind my designing names. Oh yeah...and reveal what my first series of kits is all about!

First of all, how do all those fabulous designers find time to actually DO the designing??? I just can't figure it out. Of course, I still have no idea how to do half the things I want to, and since I'm just starting it takes me twice as long to make something, but it's still taking me forever to get things done! I have to wait until my son is in bed (hubby goes to bed at the same time because he gets up at 3am for work) and after I've done all my chores and showered and all that, so it only leaves me about 1.5 hours (sometimes 2 if I stay up until 11pm) to participate in challenges, work on pages for Emerson's baby album, and design! There just aren't wnough hours during the day.

*****
I was recently asked how I came up with the name for my designs--Green Elephant Designs by Nicolina. Well, it's fairly simple. I wanted something other than my name (Designs by Nicole Birdeau-Rabalais just didn't have the right ring to it), so I took my favorite color--green--my favorite animal--elephant--and the name my paternal grandmother called me by quite often as a young girl--Nicolina. And there you have it!

*****
Finally, the BIG reveal. (OK...not so big since I have barely scratched the surface on it! lol) I have a plan for the kits I want to create.

I don't know if any of you have seen my blinkie or read the little description beneath my blog title, but I love a world where reality and fantasy overlap. A world where gods and godesses walk the earth, where fairies flit from grove to grove, where mermaids swim the oceans, and dragons fly through the skies. A world where witches cause havoc, where monsters hide in unlikely places, where giants becomefriends and where mythical creatures cause mischief.

My first series of kits, my first collection I guess you'd say, is going to be called "The Goddess Within Collection" and each kit in the collection will feature a different goddess from a different culture. I have the basic ideas in my head for at least 5 kits. SInce I can't really scrap an entire goddess (much too complex!), each kit will focus on some aspect of that goddess.

For example, the kit I'm starting out with, and the ones I've provided previews for, is Hera from Greek mythology. Remember how I said I hoped the colors of my solid papers reminded some of you of a peacock? Well, that's because the peacock is one of Hera's sacred animals. So the kit will feature the colors of the peacock, some peaock images and peacock inspired patterns, and gold accents because Hera was a queen.

Look for my first freebie for this kit tomorrow! It will be the solid papers!